CQWW CW 2010

I focussed especially on 80m because I still need a few DXCC’s there to have 100 confirmed. Last week I tuned the 80m vertical (see last post), but still a reasonable SWR (1:2) but the impedance is very high (80 ohm)????

With 4 radials it should have been 36 ohm or less so I’m still puzzling what is wrong. But a SWR of 1:2 most power is radiated.

My stats:

Band    QSOs   Pts   Cty   ZN
3,5       272      443   78     14
7             31      74      28     17
14             7      17        7       5
21             9      27        8       5
28           38      84      27    15
Total     357   645   148   56             Score: 131.580

If all new countries on 80m are confirmed (C5, PJ2, PJ4, JA, A6, A7 and others) I can sign up for 9 Band DXCC (80m > 6m).

Time to install the 160 mast….

I will submit in 80m, HP Assisted but wil also submit all non-80m qso’s otherwise other stations will be penalized.

DXCC 300 worked

This week DXCC 300 was worked: ZL8X on Kermadec. At the time of writing a total of 4 qso’s have been logged on 40-30-20m. The expedition will be there for another week so maybe I can add another band (80m or 17m.

I started 2009 with 290 DXCC’s but some of them were declared ‘deleted’ on 10/10/10. I managed to work all the new entities already.

After repairing the SteppIR a problem occured: high SWR. I had the same problem last winter, but when the weather got warmer in April it disappeared. It’s an intermittant problem. After calibration the SWR is OK, but after some changing of the band (manually) the SWR goes skyhigh (>5). And recalibrating brings back the low SWR.
I assume I have a spindle problem in the Driver-motorhouse. The impact of failure in the Directors or the Reflector wouldn’t be that much.
This is a well known problem, many reports on this issue in the SteppIR-reflector.  But not sure yet, have to bring down the mast and check all the elements :-((

Meanwhile I built a vertical for 80m. Quit simple: a pole from DX-wire (15m) and some 1mm wire. Enno PF5X calculated the optimum for the vertical part. Impedance will be about 25 ohm, so I bought a 1:2 transformer UNUN @ Balun designs. Hopefully it will come before the CQWW contest still need a few countries on 80m for DXCC 100.

 

SteppIR boots repaired

 

Boy what a mess! I replaced all boots of the SteppIR and I have been so lucky that only one element had fallen off the beam. Another 5 (total 6!) boots were completely torn apart, the other 2 were halfway…

Replacing them was not an easy job, because with a 4 elements SteppIR  (10 meter boom) and a tilting-over mast the middle elements are still 4 meters up.

I checked the working of the copper wire of the element that fell off 4 days ago and that is OK.

So we are back on air, just in time for ZL8 and CY0 :-))

 

Lost element on SteppIR

Wind up to 9 Beaufort today. And after 2 years in the air (maybe 4 years because I bought this antenne second hand) one element fell off. I was lucky to discover it very quickly when I heard the rattling noise of the stretched copper wire. (While cleaning up the leaves in the garden). The element was OK, just 10m from the mast.

I hope the copper wire is not bent while retracting.

To replace the boots I found this link on the blog of PF5X:
http://pf5x.wordpress.com/2009/09/03/new-boots-for-the-steppir-antenna/
including datasheet.