Prop on HF is bad so tried to setup EME on 2m.
My BEKO PA is strong enough but I cannot elevate my 17 ele antenne.
Have to try when the moon is below 15 degrees, wich gives me some groundgain also.

I use WSJT-X (1.17) but setting up all connections with my microham MK-II took some time. Also tuning (finding a calling station on the screen) is not always easy as there are a lot of birdies on frequency.

But in the end worked 3 stations, all from Europe, no new DXCC. yet.
Will test in the coming days again when the distance to the moon will be better (shorter).



IOTA-200 certificate

The new RSGB/IOTA system makes it much easier for IOTA-certification.
By downloading verified IOTA-contacts from clublog it is much easier to build a database ready for certification, than searching for that &^%$#card in the (sorted?) pile of cards.
Or pay $$$ for one qso.

Now 224 verified but already new confirmed IOTA’s on clublog.
Up to today worked 500 IOTA’s.


Tropo December 20, 2016

Just before a depression moved in some good (duct-)conditions NE.
But not much activity, maybe also because the duct was narrow.

OH1ND in KP00 cw 519 but later 599
OH6KTL in KP02 is a new square 1630 km
OZ1CT Bornholm Island JO75

Not much tropo in this fall (but I was out for 4 weeks in October/November)

super tropo opening

Never in my life had this experience of this super tropo opening. Every year there is a big opening in autumn, but this year was really HUGE.

Luck was with me, the duct (inversion) was in line with me, from West to East.

On Oct. 1 worked from YL & LY up to EI, GI and GD.
On Oct. 2 worked many more stations from SP, LY and then also EU/EW and UA3!
Sometimes weak signals (UA3XX: 1955 km) but sometimes like local stations (RA3LBW in cw&ssb).

I was giving cq all the time and that attracted a lot of dx stations who were not calling cq themselves.
Because the pile-up would have been to big.

All in all I made over 90 qso in those 2 days, and worked 16 countries.

New antenne for HF and 6M

I was still having troubles with my SteppIR 4 ele so I sold it.
And bought the UB50 from Ultrabeam, going from 40M to 6M.

It is a 3 elements on 20M-10M and 5 ele on 6M (add-on kit).
So I loose some gain compared to the SteppIR.

Getting the system up was quite a task, because of the closed elements.
You have to assemble all 3 poles at the same time which makes it more sdfficult than the individual poles of the SteppIR.
But this solution works technically much better on 30M/40M than the SteppIR-banana element.

Thanks to my buddy’s Jaap (PA0T) and Rinus it is up now.
Coming days start tuning and getting ready for Es season and later this year some new AT NO’s i hope.

UB50 5wl for 2M and 4 ele LFA for 4M

On the pic you see UB50, 5 wl for 2m and 4 ele LFA for 4M


That was nice

40m took me 3 days but 80M went fairly quick. All bands except 160M (no antenne at the moment), all modes .

ScreenHunter_61 Jan. 26 21.23

October DX

End of September and the start of October ZD9XF (G3TXF) was active.
There was a lot of QRN, the sun is quite active at the moment.
A small beverage helped to get the signals on 80M just above the qrn.

ZD9XF, September/October 2014

Also 8R1AE (JA1HGY) was worked on a few bands. But his schedule was a guess every day,
so I missed him on 80M. (160M antenna is still down, the horses of the neighbour are working on the grass now.)


8R1AE October 2014

C21GC (LZ1GC) was a single-handed expedition to Nauru.
It was not very clear to me when he was sleeping (if at all). His signal was on the band 24 hours round.
The qso on 10M was via longpath in the morning, very strange because that was the dark side of the earth at that time.
Some echo on his signal but readable. New bands 10/12/15 and 30M.

C21gc in October

Another expedition to T30D gave me new ones on 15M and 12M


G3ZEM was in East Timor, single handed operation.
Nice qso”s but a lot of problems with QRN and deliberate QRM.
But still some nice new bands (40M)


4W/G3ZEM in October

VK3DLX was a big operation from Lord Howe.
Worked them on many bands with 12M and 80M for new ones



4W/K7CO worked in RTTY for a new one too.

VK9XSP was worked on 80M for a new one (and more bands)



ZK3E was worked on 15M for a new one, but I didn”t pay to much attention to this expedition.
Which was not right because they were worked in Europe on many bands.
You win some you loose some.

XX9R was worked for new on RTTY. But their signals were not strong and I think they had a lot of qrn/qrm.



The last expedition was FT4TA, Tromelin. A atno for me.
Pile-ups were huge but I managed to get them on many bands.



They are still on the Island so hopefully can work them on 20M&40M
but the deliberate qrm is immense, sign of the time I think.

More stations and new band/mode/slots were worked but these were the highlights.
A great month although qrn and qrm made it quite difficult sometimes.

There was a big opening on 2M to SW-France and North EA, end-of-year tropo.
But when I turned my antenne NE I worked ES3RF with great signals.
So never trust the cluster, use your ears!